Why is it that the best dinners are the ones that have been prepared in a flash? Maybe it’s the gratitude of knowing that a healthy meal can indeed be tasty, quick and easy.
If you have raw chicken, cooked chicken, or purchased a roasted chicken from the market, then this recipe is perfect! You can also substitute chicken for beans or lentils, since these canned goods are almost always lurking in the pantry. They can add great fiber and offer good quality protein for minimal calories. If you choose chicken, it can be cubed, or you can take a little time to shred it. I recommend shredding the chicken, as it can pick up the delicious flavors of the spices and salsa.
Can we talk about toppings?! What are your favorites? I wish I can go back in time and purchase an avocado, just so I can slice it up and throw it on top of these lettuce cups. It would have made for such a creamy, tasty addition offering super healthy fats.
Cheese…it’s a must. The end.
A dollop of sour cream and some hot sauce will definitely kick it up a notch too.
Have I sold you on this recipe yet? Let’s get on with it!
Easy Tex Mex Lettuce Cups
2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1 head of butter leaf lettuce, or any lettuce with large leaves
2 cups of shredded red cabbage
1 cup of raw spinach, chopped
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I used mozzarella because it’s what I had on hand)
1 cup of salsa
1 Tablespoon paprika
1 Tablespoon cumin
dash of salt and pepper
- Sprinkle chicken breasts with dash of salt and pepper. Cook on a pan, over medium heat for ~ 7 minutes on each side until cooked through.
- Allow chicken breasts to cool for about 10 minutes, then shred with a fork or your fingers. Return back to the pan and reheat, adding the 1 cup of salsa, paprika and cumin. Mix to combine all of the flavors ~ 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the chopped spinach and shredded cabbage. Set aside. Shred the cheese, and set that aside too. Peel off large leaves of lettuce, these are the cups.
- On a plate, layer 2 large lettuce leaves, topped with spinach and cabbage mixture. Top with shredded chicken mix, followed by shredded cheese.
- If you have any other yummy toppings, now is a great time to add them on top too.